All competitors at the World Barista Championship are asked to compete on a shared set of equipment to give them a standardized starting point. In order to enable this, the competition’s Qualified Sponsors provide sufficient equipment for all competitors. This document outlines the procedures around the provision of espresso grinders. These procedures are supplemental information for competitors, designed to answer common questions about the equipment. For full information about grinders, please refer to section 4.4 of the WBC Rules. For information on the provided espresso machine, please see section 4.1.
Any questions may be directed to [email protected]
- Competitors may only compete in the WBC using the following Mahlkönig grinders: Peak, EK43, or the shorter EK43(S). Mahlkönig will provide grinders of each version available to all competitors.
- All grinders will be brand new.
- All grinders will have the standard factory-seasoned “Espresso” burrs installed, and will go through additional seasoning before being distributed to competitors.
- During online registration, WBC competitors will be asked to select whether they intend to bring their own grinders, or use the provided grinders, and if they intend to use provided grinders, what model(s) they would like to use.
- If a competitor chooses to use a provided grinder, they will receive their grinder onsite before their scheduled practice time, at which point they become responsible for the grinder.
- Competitors may not take sponsor grinders off-site.
- Competitors will return their grinder(s) to Mahlkönig once they are done with their competition time.
- If a grinder is not returned, the competitor will be invoiced.
- In the case of a competitor bringing their own grinder, that grinder must be one of the approved models, with the “Espresso” burr-set and only manufacturer’s original parts installed, with no other modifications or additions.
- All grinders that competitors bring themselves will have their status verified by Mahlkönig prior to competitor practice time. A sticker will be applied to seal the grinder, which may not be opened from that point.
- If it becomes necessary to open any grinder at any point, the grinder must be resubmitted to Mahlkönig for inspection and sealing.
- All grinders will have their seals inspected before they are allowed on stage.